Really it's more Oh What a Weekend, but the song says What a Night so that's what I wrote.
Roni Weekend 2008 started Friday around 6ish. She landed and had asked to go to this really cool music spot about 15 minutes from the airport. Well that's at least what MapQuest told her. 15 minutes. Ummm the venue, Hotel Cafe, was deep in Hollywood. That 15 minute drive from the airport was more like 1 1/2 hours. It was Friday at 6 after all. For Roni I was willing to make the trek. For few other people would I do that on a Friday. Sarah McShwindy aka Hoffita joined us for the start of an awesome weekend.
Friday dinner:
Citizen Smith - a great spot I've had the good fortune to enjoy cocktails in their lounge.
We split some rice and peas (risotto), nachos and citrus shrimp. All very good.
After dinner we hit Hotel Cafe waiting for one of Roni's favorite sad sorry bastard (SSB) singer/songwriters Greg Laswell.

He was great and we greatly enjoyed his music but we had more parties to hit so we left Hotel Cafe after Mr. Laswell's set and headed back to Santa Monica.
Mr. Tomas Duhamel has having a par-tay on his roofdeck. His roofdeck is both way cooler and not nearly as clean as this photo.

He was having a mini Pomona reunion - you know their weekly reunion over beer pong and beer. We definitely walked into the latter part of the party. The Hoffita and I had just driven from Hollywood so we were way too sober. Everyone was very nice and helped us to get drunk as quickly as possible. We stuck around pondering all the ways Pomona is superior to Scripps until about 3:30AM when I declared it time to stumble home and stumble we did! Not to worry no Scrippsies were injured in the stumble home.
Saturday AM we were up and ready for some food!! We strolled on down to Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf for some Ultimate Vanillas. While waiting in line for her bagel Roni was informed by a very nice man - who was most likely on drugs given his appearance - that he could be her Ultimate Vanilla Guy. Isn't that sweet?!
After b-fast we hit the stores. Boy did we hit the stores. We hit Yari for some fashionable and affordable wares.

We then hit Dolce Vita for some fantastic deals on shoes!!
Then on to mani pedis where I was manhandled by a pregnant woman. Squeezing/pinching my neck does not constitute a back massage!
What do you do on a Saturday after shopping, mani pedis and food?
Grab more food and hit the pool (no beach as toes might still be damp).

We (I) bullied Tom into letting us into his pool. It was perfection.
Okay more to come once I've done some actual work.
sounds glorious! and now I have that song stuck in my head. oh, what a night...!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad no one was hurt especially since a certain young lady just freed her wrist from a cast! Geez, I'm offically a mom now!
ReplyDeletealso glad there were no injuries. i am really missing the smell of chlorine right now. oh how i miss it. seriously.
ReplyDelete"pondering all the ways Pomona is superior to Scripps." Ha! I love this. The irony is just dripping off the screen, Miss Sarah
ReplyDeleteI had a great time and I can't wait for Sarah to add in more about Saturday/evening and Sunday. It was great to see Sarah and Roni, Tom and the other boys and, of course Tony, Tony, Tony.
PS Hoffita = Jefita or 'little boss lady' in Spanish. Dave' has knicknamed me boss and it's sort of evolved from there.
i'm soooooo jealous!!!! thanks for explaining the hoffita smac as i was wondering what the inside joke was! and yeah, i caught the superior remark as well...
ReplyDeletewait i spelled it wrong?! i thought my trip to central america made me fluent by osmosis!!!
ReplyDelete